On 14 January 2020, Microsoft will officially stop supporting Windows 7 Operating System (You can read more about it here), which means that there will no longer be any bug-fixes, security patches or new features released to Windows 7.
However, this does not meant that you cannot continue using Windows 7 after 14 Jan 2020. You can but with an outdated operating system it makes your computer vulnerable to cyber-attacks.
So what can you do moving forward?
1) Like what is mentioned above, you can continue to using Windows 7 but you also need to accept the risk of getting infected with virus
2) Get a new Laptop/Desktop
3) Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10
How do I upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10
Options 1 and 2 are quite straight-forward, so let me touch on Option 3 (Upgrading)
Remember the free Windows 10 Upgrade in 2015 which has expired?
What if i tell you it is still possible to upgrade for free?
At the point of writing this method still works, so do it before it no longer works.
Disclaimer : Before proceeding make sure you have done a backup of your important files on an external hard disk (just in case anything goes wrong you would still have your files intact) as i would not be responsible for any loss of data.
Backing Up Files
In case you haven't done so here's a quick way to backup the files, or you can just manually copy the files yourself
1) Press Start, Type in Notepad, Click on notepad
2) Copy the following command and paste into notepad
Note : Change E: to the corresponding letter for your USB Drive.
cd %userprofile% mkdir E:\Backup robocopy ".\Desktop" "E:\Backup\Desktop" /s /e /R:0 /W:0 robocopy ".\Documents" "E:\Backup\Documents" /s /e /R:0 /W:0 robocopy ".\Downloads" "E:\Backup\Downloads" /s /e /R:0 /W:0 robocopy ".\Favorites" "E:\Backup\Favorites" /s /e /R:0 /W:0 robocopy ".\Music" "E:\Backup\Music" /s /e /R:0 /W:0 robocopy ".\Videos" "E:\Backup\Videos" /s /e /R:0 /W:0 robocopy ".\Pictures" "E:\Backup\Pictures" /s /e /R:0 /W:0 pause
The command above will do the following
a)Create a folder "Backup" on USB Drive (E Drive in this scenario)
b)Copy all files in Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favourites, Music, Videos and Pictures to Backup Folder on the USB Drive
You may also remove any line if you do not wish to backup any of the folders
3) Save the file as Backup.bat
Note: Change Save as type to All Files
4) Right Click on Backup.bat , Select Run As Administrator|
Note : This will take from a few minutes to a few hours depending on the amount of files you have. The process is automated hence you do no need to manually do the copying one by one
5) Once the backup is completed it will look something like this
6) You can do a comparison for the total number of files, if you need to ensure that all files are copied
Upgrading to Windows 10
1) Navigate to https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
2) Click on Download tool now
3) Run the downloaded application once its completed
4) Click Yes if the UAC Prompt appears
5) Accept the License Terms
6) Select Upgrade this PC now, Click Next
7) Click Accept
8) You can choose one of the following Options
a) Keep your apps and files
b) Keep your files only
C) Keep Nothing
To select the options click on Change what to keep, click Install/Next once you have select your option
Note: If you decide to use Option C, you will need to re-install all the applications that you use.
9) Once the Install button has been clicked the process of upgrading will start, this may take awhile. During the process your computer will restart multiple times.
10) Once upgrade is completed, Click Start, select the gear icon
11) Click on Updates & Security
12) Select Activation
13) Your copy of Windows 10 should be activate with a digital license
Note: the Edition of Windows would depend on which edition of Windows 7 you are upgrading from
And that's it. You have successfully upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at no cost.
One thing to note, the digital license is associated with the device and unless there is a hardware changed, you can perform a clean installation of the with the same edition of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool or the ISO files. Activation would be automatic.
If you have any questions or face any issues do let me know and I'll try to assist you.